If you can sharpen your media criticism from “untrustworthy” to “untrustworthy for x,y,z reasons and on a,b,c topics,” you’ll be in a powerful position to sort the news appropriately while also enhancing your critical thinking skills.
- You should hear the best one-sided argument for the untrustworthy matters
- You should be able to spot the angles intentionally not being pursued
- You can think of the questions that should have been asked
- You can try to form on-the-fly counter-arguments
- You can assume information based on omission